Friday, May 25, 2007

Potty training-HELP!!!

I decided today that I was going to potty train Parker. I've been kicking around the idea for a while and today I'm taking the plunge. My goal is to have him potty trained by the time that baby Makenna comes along in September so I'll only be changing one child's diapers. I realize that he is a little young, but I want to give it a shot. The thing is, I don't even know where to start! I bought a little soft top for the toilet and a little stool for him to climb up on and that's as far as I've gotten. I thought about getting one of those toddler toilets but the thought of cleaning them just grosses me out. So, I'm asking for suggestions from all you more experienced mothers out there. Is there some kind of potty training bible of sorts? Call, email, whatever you can, but I would really like some advice!
In other news...






Here is picture of Andrew and Parker "blasting off". Parker is really into Little Ensteins (a tv show). He watches them every morning and always loves it when they "blast off" in their rocket. He can also name all of the characters on Mickey Mouse Club House (mickey, minnie, donald duck, etc...) I'm not totally sure how I feel about that. He usually only watches those two shows during the day but I still feel a little guilty. I was one of those moms who said their kids weren't going to watch TV and it's funny how fast that went out the window! A few minutes to empty the dishwasher or pay some bills is nice. I guess at least it's educational. (:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke-
Love your blog! And as far as potty-training goes, my only advice is that it is a lot easier to have two in diapers than to try to get Parker to a bathroom with a new baby in tote in a shopping mall or at the grocery store. Just something to think about... And I remember trying to potty-train Jake when he turned 3 so he could go to pre-school, but I ended up getting really frustrated and decided that it wasn't worth it. He didn't go to pre-school that year, but ended up being potty-trained at 3 1/2 in just two days time. So just see how it works with Parker. If he isn't ready yet, he will be later--smile! Good luck and lots of love!

Amy

Kim Brannon said...

I would offer advice if I had any! Since I have no experience, I cannot offer any sound advice. I can tell you that from what I have seen with friends and family, it seems to be easier to wait until they are a little older.

I have house broken dogs, but I got nothing when it comes to kids.

Sorry!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Brooke-
Parker is sooooooooo cute! I am so excited about your blog. Makenna is such a cute name!

As far as potty training goes...I tried training Noah when he was 2 years old and after a couple of months of pure frustration and cleaning up "accidents" I decided to wait until he was ready. He waited until he was 3 1/2 years old, but boy was it a breeze when he was ready.

Now Lincoln is almost 3 and I am talking a lot about the toilet and trying to get him excited to use the toilet, but he keeps telling me that the toilet is "too scary" for him.

Anyways, sorry I don't have any good advice to help you out. Good luck!

Tilleea

Janet Stevens said...

You are brave--Sarah is 3 now, and she still isn't using the potty all the time. Tate was 3-1/2 (okay--a little older than that), but when he decided he was ready, he trained in a day. Same with Anna (she was just shy of 3); she woke up one morning and said she didn't want to wear diapers anymore--and she was trained. So I guess I am saying that I have opted for waiting until they decide they want to do it. After cleaning up a few messes, I quickly came to the conclusion that changing diapers (and the cost of purchasing them) wasn't that bad! If you find a magic way to get it done earlier, let me know!! I still have one more to go! Good luck!

Love you!

Janet

Janet Stevens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet Stevens said...

Sorry! My comment posted twice, and then I deleted one copy. I don't know how to use this, apparently! Oh well!! Have a great day!

Janet