Saturday, September 8, 2007
My tribute to the best cat ever
Yesterday was a sad day for our family. We had to put our kitty cat, Gus, to sleep after the vet found that he had cancer. He hadn't been doing well at all that day and so we were prepared to hear the news, but it was still hard to let him go. He had been a part of our family for 16 years. We got him as a kitten when Jamie was 8 and I was 10. We named him after the chubby rat on Cinderella because the enormous amount of fur he had made him look much bigger than he actually was. Over the years, we gave him more nicknames than I can even remember! He was the best of both worlds, an avid mouse and bird hunter but also very kind and gentle with people. Gus was different from most cats in that he was never aloof. He was always eager to be cuddled and have his ears scratched. He loved kids and even our dogs. His best friend was our dog, Mackensie (who died about 9 years ago). Gus loved to swat at Makensie's tail and he would even curl up next to his doggie friend at night. I think that he must have learned a few things from growing up with Mackensie because he would actually follow us on walks around the neighborhood just like a dog. Gus really was a sweet cat who loved to be loved. I will always have a special place in my heart for that little orange and white puff ball and we will miss him! I'm sure that if there's special place for animals (and how could there not be!), he's there enjoying a nice nap in the sun. Thank you Gus, for being the best cat in the world!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Aww I'm sorry Brooke! Even I remember Gus...and how you would call him "Gus Gus " in your "animal talk" voice!
Post a Comment