Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Perspective


So, as many of you know, Makenna has been struggling with some pretty serious reflux issues since birth (on top of her colic). Basically, it hurts her little tummy to eat. Feeding her has been, well, a nightmare at times. Because of her reflux she developed a food aversion and for a while all she had to do was see a bottle and she would start screaming. She is on a good dose of prevacid and a very gentle formula and I still have a hard time getting her to eat a decent amount of the time. It's so sad for me to see her in pain and frustrating that something that should be easy is so hard. Some days it is totally draining. We cycle in and out of good days and bad days, but I'm happy to say that the good days are getting more frequent. Anyway, today I called our insurance because we had been billed for M's pediatric gastroenterologist appointment incorrectly. The man I spoke to was surprisingly accommodating and fixed the problem without any issue at all. He mentioned something about the last thing I needed to worry about was this if I had to take my baby to a gastroenterologist. I think I said something like, "yeah, it's rough". Then he said that his little girl also had reflux and that she had to be tube fed. I truly can't even begin to imagine how difficult that must be. It's just in a whole other realm of "rough". He also said that she likely wouldn't outgrow it until she was 2! M is supposed to outgrown hers at about 9 months and I thought that was a long time. Talking with this man really humbled me and it hit home that someone always has it worse that you do. I also realized that I was lucky to have a baby that only has reflux and nothing life threatening. So here I am, still counting the days until M hits 9 months and praying that's our magic number. At the same time, hopefully more humble and grateful for the rediculous amount of blessings that I have. One of my most cherished blessings being a healthy, beautiful, and sweet baby girl that I adore.

7 comments:

Shelley said...

But in the moment it is so hard. All you want is to see your children happy. Thats hard. Hopefully that will be the magic number for her. It really does make you grateful, when you see others experiences. You are a great Mom, Brooke. :)

malinda said...

It is always nice to get a bit of perspective. Sometimes I feel like we go through certain trials so we can learn empathy and help others through theirs. I feel like I have people I can turn to if I ever
have a child with a disability,
my husband loses a job, etc. Hopefully the trials that I go through will help me help others. It is also comforting to share our experiences with others. We get to feel a sense of relief when we know we have helped someone with their problem. Someday you will get to share you experience with Makena's reflux and make someone's burden lighter because of it. Just like the man on the phone made you feel better. Love you Brooke!

Amber said...

Brooke, I am so glad you shared that story. I have been having 'rough' patch with Kayla this week. She had been doing so good with her reflux and then all of the sudden she was back to the sad, loud, painful, and long feedings. I was in tears just watching her. I feel so bad for her, and there are so many times I just wish I could take the pain away. It quickly reminded me though of how much love the Savior must have for each one of us to take away our pain upon him to relieve our burden.

You know there are so many days when I just kept thinking, if she would just get a little bigger this would all go away...then I thought about how much I am going to miss her being so little and that I should just enjoy each little moment and not hope so much for what is to come. We truly will remember M in our prayers, it is tough...BUT we will make it through!!

J said...

Man! I'm sorry she's been having a rough time, poor girl! Sorry we missed you last weekend! Dead phone battery+no charger=no phone numbers. Sucky! I need to get your address memorized so next time I can just drop in! I was so bummed when I got home and got your messages! Sorry girl, I miss ya and love ya!

Jamie Densley Fieber said...

Even though she's a stinker when it comes to eating you can't help but love the baby puke! Her growling and shrieking are priceless! I keep praying for her nine months to be over and praying every time I feed her:) Love you

Brooke B said...

That is so sad, but your totally right, there is always someone worse off than you so just be glad your not them!

Danielle said...

She's pretty darn cute! Sorry you have had a hard time. I always think a nice handbag can fix almost anything. Let's take a trip to the outlets!