Saturday, May 9, 2009

A few stories about my mom

I thought I would share a couple stories about my mom for Mother's day. Maybe just a glimpse into the person that I love and look up to.

Parker was born in WA and we moved back to UT when he was about 3 weeks old. When we got back to our little duplex I walked into the cutest nursery I'd ever seen. My mom had painted the walls and gotten decorations and had everything set up just perfect for her precious little grandson. And she had done it all (with a little help) while undergoing cancer treatments that left her feeling like she had the flu constantly. She was so excited to be a grandma I don't think anything could have stopped her from decorating that room as special surprise for her grandson and me.

In the last few months of my mother's life, her body and her mind began to betray her. I think that probably one of the hardest things for my mom was when her mind started to go. She was always so intelligent and full of wit. Not to mention very educated. Just one smart lady. I always admired that so much about her and it's one of the reasons I'm going back to school. Even though my mom never really complained about all the things that the cancer was robbing her of, I know she must have been frustrated.
One night I was trying to feed her some pudding and she didn't understand what was going on. She kept telling me that I didn't have pudding, and I tried to explain that I did. After a few minutes of trying to help her understand, I realized that I was making her sad and frustrated and so I changed the subject. The cancer invading her brain made it hard to really grasp what I was doing. Then my dad walked in. Whenever my dad came into my mom's line of vision it was like everyone else disappeared. She was glued to him and always wanted him near her. Everyone that was with my mom at the end watched my mom's eyes light up when my dad was around. I always knew my mom loved my dad, but she loved him a in quiet and less demonstrative way. When she got sick it was like their bond became so strong it was almost tangible.
So, after a few minutes I left the room but was quickly called back in by my dad. My mom looked troubled and she told me now sorry she was for being short with me and that "she was just having a bad day." I was speechless. That even with all the physical and emotional pain she was in as she watched her life slip away from her. She was worried that she may have hurt my feelings. And she hadn't even been grumpy at all. Then I realized that that is just my mom. So very kind and such a loving mother. Most days I feel so far from being the woman that my mom was, but I sure hope that someday I can get close.

7 comments:

amanda said...

Those are wonderful stories. She was a great woman. I always remember her coming to almost all of the gatherings we invited her to. She and Diane would always be the ones constantly supporting us. She was wonderful. There is no one quite like ones own mother. I hate that no one even comes close. You honor her well by the mother that you are.

Melody said...

You are a wonderful mom, Brooke and an amazing daughter. Thanks for sharing a piece of the love you had for you mommy. Happy Mother's Day.

Nikki said...

Wow, your mom was an amazing woman. I can see why you are so amazing yourself. I love how connected she was with your dad. That is the sweetest thing. I hope that tomorrow isn't too hard. Happy Mother's Day. Thanks for the sweet stories.

The Brannon Family said...

Oh,how I miss you mom! She really was a trooper, right up until the end. I remember one time Jamie and I were trying to feed her applesauce and pudding. The pudding had her medicine in it. She didn't want her medicine and would not open her mouth for the pudding. So we had to tell her it was applesauce, she would open up for it, and we would give her the pudding. She was not happy with us! When she would get the pudding, she would find the little pieces of the pill and spit them out. All three of us were giggling!

Happy Mothers Day to both you and your mom! We are both blessed to have been given incredible mothers to set the example for us!

Becky Ahlberg said...

Your mom was a wonderful mother, daughter, sister, and friend. She gave me a little plaque not too long before she passed away that I look at every day. It says, "Blessings - be sure to count them." I have a wonderful life, but when I'm having a hard day I read that saying and it reminds me of how blessed my life really is. I'm sure she would want all of us to count our blessings and to do the best we can to be blessings in other people's lives as she was and still is!

Dawn said...

Sweet Stories...

I am thinking of you and your sister today.

Have a Happy Mother's Day!

(Can't wait to see you both next weekend.)

Jamie Densley Fieber said...

Here I am crying as usual. Thanks for the stories.... I know mom is proud of you because she always told me, "Brooke is such a good mom." Loves