I found out that I was pregnant with Makenna about a month and a half after my mom died. My pregnancy and her birth were so bittersweet. I wanted my mom more than I can explain. It was my first big life event without her. I think the words that I said the most the first few months of Makenna's life were, "I just want my mom!" However, in Makenna, I have gained a new mother-daughter relationship. I know that this has helped to heal me and I know that it will continue to heal me as I get a chance to mother my own daughter. I can have the bond with my daughter that my mom had with me. I have also felt my mother's presence often since her birth. She loves to watch my kids, I can tell you that. Makenna shares my mom's name as her middle name and I hope that she will always honor the legacy that my mom has left for her.
My mom's last mother's day on this earth was also my first. I remember making her promise a million times that she would be here for next mother's day. As if somehow, she had any control over that. I got a card from her that I keep as one of my most valuable possesions. I read it often when I feel lonley for her. She wrote, "Thank you for spending the last 10 days with me!" (Parker and I were visiting from Washington.) "You're a great mom! I love you!" Mostly I read the great mom part. For some reason, no one can make you really believe that you're a great mom, except your own mom. I wish she was still here to tell me that sometimes. This mother's day I would thank my mom for the 25 years she spent with me. She was a great mom. So great. I love her and can't wait to see her again. I know she and Bri are enjoying being together and I'm glad that she gets to spend Mother's day with my sweet little sister. I wish a special happy mother's day to all those women in my life who have been so sweet and kind to me and my family! I can't say thank you enough!
PS-A special message to my sis, Jamie. I love you! Thank you for being so wonderful! You are making mom so proud because of the woman that you are!


8 comments:
I don't really know what to say except that I can't imagine how you feel, I'm just grateful I have my Mom still. I hope your day is more sweet than sad. I couldn't help but think how your Mom got to know your daughter before she was born, that is so special..
I want to give the biggest hug right now! You are a such an amazing person! Your mom's legacy lives on throgh YOU and your children. WE LOVE YOU!
That was such a sweet post. I loved reading your thoughts and experiences. I love you so much and I am so glad that you are in our family. We miss you guys. I wish you the Happiest mothers day ever! You are a wonderful Mother, always know that. I love you.
Well, I think the whole family is crying right now :)! You are so strong. I can't even wrap my mind around the sense of loss that you must feel sometimes. You are so loved by us all, but I know that can never compensate for your mother's love. She is so proud of you Brooke, who wouldn't be. It is amazing that through all the trials Heavenly Father never forgets the blessings. That is what Parker and Makenna and Andrew are for you, your eternal blessings. I hope you enjoy your mother's day and know that you are a great mom!
Brooke- GEEZ! I have been on your blog reading this like 6 times, and finally have a minute to write something! I have been thinking a lot about you lately, especially after my miscarriage, and I can finally understand how hard things have been for you and Andrew. I cry every time I read this, and I'm not a cryer! I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose my Mom during these years of my life, and I'm really amazed at how strong you are, and how positive your perspective is. I've always liked you Brooke Barnes! Thanks for the inspiring blog! We need to have you and Andrew over!
What a wonderful tribute to such a wonderful mother (you and your own mother). I can't even imagine my life without my mother and after reading your post I know that I need to tell her I love her more. Your kids are so wonderful and I know what a miracle they are! I sure love ya Brooke.
You kids are such miracles! I can remember being out in Houston and New Jersey that summer with you, and trying to get pregnant. You were meant to be a mother. That was the sweetest tribute. I bawled my eyes out. It will be a great day, when you can see her again. I love you!
I want you to know I was thinking about you and your mom on Mother's Day and the first thing I thought was, " I'll bet she is so proud of the amazing mom Brooke is!" I love you and miss you my friend and wish I were there to give you a huge hug!
Post a Comment