Today is the 7 year anniversary of my little sister, Briana's, passing. I can't believe that it's been that long. Sometimes it seems like another lifetime ago. Our family was so different then. I miss the way things were so much sometimes. I wish I could have appreciated better how lucky I was back then. My sister was always special. I don't remember her birth (I was only 4) so I don't remember how sick she was for her first few weeks of life. None of us knew how deeply that would affect our family at the time. I remember my mom saying that she knew something was different about Briana long before the doctors did. It was years before anyone had an anwer for my parents and I can't even imagine how difficult that answer must have been for them to hear. My sister had brain damamge. My sister's disability made our family different from most families but to us it was the norm. She was just Briana. My parents were so devoted to her. They constantly advocated for her in school and always gave her all the opporuntities for learning and fun that they could. As a parent now myself I don't know how they did it. Of course, Briana adored them. I can't help but smile when I think about the way Bri loved. She gave her love so fully and so freely. There were no agendas or complications. Her smile could light up the room. She loved to be around her family the most. You couldn't tell her about any family event more than a few minutes before or she would be asking you about it constantly, hoping that it was time to go. "Time it is", she would say. My aunt made a family video with everyone's pictures one Christmas and we watched that with her more times than I could ever count. When it was over we always had to rewind it and start again. She loved school and to learn, even though it was hard for her. She could count to 20 and knew her phone number. She had a great memory. She loved to have books read to her and she loved purses. She loved our cat, our dog, and Barney(: She taught me the value of family. She taught me to slow down and take a real look at things. She taught me to be more patient. She showed me what pure and honest love was. She was joy personified. We had hard times with her though. Taking care of a 2 year old and a 16 year old's body had it's challenges. I'm sure so much more for my mom and dad. Her seizures the last few years of her life were hard to deal with. I prayed everyday that she would be healed while drug after drug failed to help. I know now that my prayers were answered, just not in the way I thought they would be. Isn't that so often the case. Her sudden death was a huge blow to our family. Briana was really the center of our family life and when she died, it left a huge void in our hearts. I will always miss her more than I can explain but I wouldn't ask her to come back for a second. She is whole now and so happy. Her beautiful, perfect soul has finally been set free from her body. I can't wait to see her again in her glory and light. And she has my mom now. I know she made my mother's passage from this earthly life a happy reuion with a beloved daughter. I made chocolate chip cookies today in honor of my sister. She always loved to make them and loved eating them even more. I wish I had a picture of her but they are all on my other computer at home. Here are some cookies for my sweet baby sister. I will love you and miss you always until we can be together again.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Chocolate Chip Cookies for Briana
Today is the 7 year anniversary of my little sister, Briana's, passing. I can't believe that it's been that long. Sometimes it seems like another lifetime ago. Our family was so different then. I miss the way things were so much sometimes. I wish I could have appreciated better how lucky I was back then. My sister was always special. I don't remember her birth (I was only 4) so I don't remember how sick she was for her first few weeks of life. None of us knew how deeply that would affect our family at the time. I remember my mom saying that she knew something was different about Briana long before the doctors did. It was years before anyone had an anwer for my parents and I can't even imagine how difficult that answer must have been for them to hear. My sister had brain damamge. My sister's disability made our family different from most families but to us it was the norm. She was just Briana. My parents were so devoted to her. They constantly advocated for her in school and always gave her all the opporuntities for learning and fun that they could. As a parent now myself I don't know how they did it. Of course, Briana adored them. I can't help but smile when I think about the way Bri loved. She gave her love so fully and so freely. There were no agendas or complications. Her smile could light up the room. She loved to be around her family the most. You couldn't tell her about any family event more than a few minutes before or she would be asking you about it constantly, hoping that it was time to go. "Time it is", she would say. My aunt made a family video with everyone's pictures one Christmas and we watched that with her more times than I could ever count. When it was over we always had to rewind it and start again. She loved school and to learn, even though it was hard for her. She could count to 20 and knew her phone number. She had a great memory. She loved to have books read to her and she loved purses. She loved our cat, our dog, and Barney(: She taught me the value of family. She taught me to slow down and take a real look at things. She taught me to be more patient. She showed me what pure and honest love was. She was joy personified. We had hard times with her though. Taking care of a 2 year old and a 16 year old's body had it's challenges. I'm sure so much more for my mom and dad. Her seizures the last few years of her life were hard to deal with. I prayed everyday that she would be healed while drug after drug failed to help. I know now that my prayers were answered, just not in the way I thought they would be. Isn't that so often the case. Her sudden death was a huge blow to our family. Briana was really the center of our family life and when she died, it left a huge void in our hearts. I will always miss her more than I can explain but I wouldn't ask her to come back for a second. She is whole now and so happy. Her beautiful, perfect soul has finally been set free from her body. I can't wait to see her again in her glory and light. And she has my mom now. I know she made my mother's passage from this earthly life a happy reuion with a beloved daughter. I made chocolate chip cookies today in honor of my sister. She always loved to make them and loved eating them even more. I wish I had a picture of her but they are all on my other computer at home. Here are some cookies for my sweet baby sister. I will love you and miss you always until we can be together again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You are the sweetest sister EVER! And those cookies look D-lish!
Okay Brooke, I this is TOO weird. I too have a little brother who passed away who was born with a rare genetic neurological disorder. His story is under "Nathaniel" in my labels. He has only been gone for 2 years, I can't imagine it being 7 years-holy cow, your family has been through it. I am crying my eyes out reading because A. It is so sad and B. it is such a releif to read someone else's feelings who knows what I am feeling. My thoughts are with you today on this bittersweet day as you remember your sweet sister and mourn her passing. I truly believe that Heavenly Father doesn't give us more then we can handle and that all things happen in the end for a reason and for our own good.
Brooke, I love you. You wrote about your sister in such a way that though I didn't ever know her, I felt the kind of sweet person she was. Thank you for sharing that, it truly touched me. Love, love, love.
Brooke,
I am Amanda's sister, Dawn. I don't know if you remember me or not. I just wanted to let you know how much your simple messages on your blog mean to me. I check Manda's daily and have begun reading yours each day too. You are an amazing person. Your insight and testimony has inspired and uplifted me on many occasions. I think of you and your family often. Manda invited us to the gathering/fundraiser you are holding. I wish I could come and support such a wonderful thing as well as a wonderful family, but we will be out of town. You are doing wonderful things to honor your mom. Thanks for all your sweet thoughts for our family and especially for sharing your life and wisdom with us through your blog. You are touching so many lives. Thanks.
Hey there! I knew the anniversary of Bri's passing was right around now and have been thinking about you and praying for you and your family. I'm so thankful for the chance I had to know your sweet sister, she truly was/is an amazing person. Hope all is well in Washington, know that I'm thinking of you! Love ya girly!
I love the simple ways you celebrate your sister and your mom. It is those simple memories that help to keep them alive in all of us. You are so strong and I admire that strength so much. I hope you know how much love and support surrounds you. I know it doesn't make it easier, but it is there whenever you need it. Love you!
I have a few memories of Bri, mostly us playing upstairs in an unfinished toy room and having my horse in your backyard, that was more than 20 years ago. (you know your old when you use that phrase) I also love how you celebrate your family in such simple ways as this. Don't you wish we still had the innocence of those days?
Brooke that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. I don't know how families cope when they don't know whether they'll see each other again. That knowledge has given me peace everyday since December when I unexpectedly lost my best friend, my Gramma Jo. Thank you for your beautiful thoughts and the love you expressed and made everyone feel through your writing. What a precious spirit your sister is. I am sorry your mom has already passed also. You are such a strong and beautiful example.
Brooke that was so nice to read. Thank you for writing about her, it made me feel the spirit. I'm so happy heavenly Father gave us families. There's nothing else like them. And I am so glad you have the gospel and you know families can be together forever. I'm so grateful for that promise. Your sister sounded like a sweetheart. And I think you're right about making the transition easier for your Mother. I know your sister was right there waiting to hug her when she arrived.
Post a Comment