Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Easter Thoughts

"And with the morn,
those angel faces smile,
which I have loved long since
and lost awhile."


My life, though blessed beyond measure, has been marked with loss. These words have become my hope and my comfort. My battle cry when the hurt feels like too much to bear. I remember singing those lines from the hymn "Lead Kindly Light" just a few weeks after the death of my little sister. I had sung that hymn many times before, but that time those words penetrated straight into my anguished soul. Little did I know then that my mother would join her just five years later. Last year while waiting in the chapel of the temple, I was thinking about my mom and my sister when the organist began playing "Lead Kindly Light". I knew that the song was for me and it was the Spirit reminding me that one day that glorious morning of reunion will come. I'm so glad I know this and glad for my Savior and his atoning sacrifice and resurrection. I'm so glad that I will see my beloved mother and sister one day and that I will have my family back again because of Him.

6 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Brooke I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I didn't realize that both your mother and sister had passed away. What a beautiful testimony you have and an amazing perspective. We truly are blessed to have the gospel when dealing with loss.

amanda said...

I love that. Those words (and many more) have more meaning once you have lost someone so special. Does the hurt ever go away??

Shelley said...

Those words do bring comfort. You are a great person, Brooke. Holidays always seem to have a bit more reflecting on the ones we've lost.
Good job on getting yourself back in school. You will do so great, and be so glad you did. :)

Tammy said...

That was so, so sweet. Thank you for sharing thoughts so close to your heart. I love you.

Dawn said...

You are wise beyond your age. I love reading what you write. You inspire me in many ways. Thanks for sharing your testimony.

The Gatherum Family said...

OH Brooke, once again you know just the way I am feeling. I absolutely LOVE hymns, my new one of the week is How Firm A Foundation...they give me such comfort and peace that I can't seem to find anywhere else. Anyways, I too am so grateful for the true message of Easter and I CAN'T wait for that happy reunion that we will all experience when we are reunited with those we have lost...