Sunday, April 19, 2009

What am I going to be when I grow up?...


Well, obviously a wife and a mother as I am already those things.(: But part of going back to school was the decision about what I was going to study. I started out 10 years ago as a vocal performance major which is basically just an opera singer. As we were deciding if I was going to go back to school I toyed with the idea of doing something else that was faster and easier to get through. In the end, though, I knew that if I was going to put in the effort to go back I wanted to do something that I had a passion for. And that is singing. While I have been truly happy in my life I have also had a nagging feeling that something was left unfinished. Things last week really fell into place for me to get back in the music program at BYU. They don't let people audition late for the program, but for some reason they let me and I had two days to put together some pieces to sing for them and get an accompanist. It was crazy, but it came together and I got back in. I really felt like that was the answer that this is what I'm supposed to do. So anyway, I'm scared and excited and I'm going to be an opera singer...someday.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Wow Brooke I had no idea! That's great news. You'll do amazing I just know it. Good luck!

Tilleea said...

When you become an opera singer do you have to wear those pointy bra cups??? (You now, like the one in the picture you posted above.)

Congrats on getting in to the music program and good luck!

Shelley said...

Brooke, I am so happy for you! You should be so proud of yourself. If I can get the determination and the will to do the same. Not opera, but music was once my major as well. Good for you!!!!!

Beccarigg said...

Brooke I'm so proud of you for going after your dream! You have an AMAZING voice and will do awesome in the program!

idaho amy said...

Way to go, Brooke! That is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Danielle said...

So Freaking awesome.

Good luck!!! I think women with kids who go back to school are totally bomb. I can't imagine how hard that would be, and how much work and dedication. You can do it. I'm rooting for you!

Tammy said...

Brooke, that's awesome. Good for you, I am going to finish school someday too! I think that is great!

The Brannon Family said...

You will be wonderful!!!! You have great talent!

Nikki said...

How awesome Brooke! I admire you so much for going back. One day I'm going to do the same. Keep us updated on how it goes.